Monday 15 October 2012

Food Haul: Random Shop

A couple of days ago I went to Asda with the intention of buying a clothes airer (much needed as most of my clothes can't be tumble dried), but decided I wasn't going to carry it back on the bus and was going to buy it online instead so ended up doing some pointless shopping. It was pointless as I already had all the food I needed for the week. Although I did want to get some food to snack on as I keep eating my granola cereal for that purpose (why does granola taste so good?!). So this is what I brought...

Left to Right, Top to Bottom: Caramel Cappaccino, Crunchy Peanut Butter, Korma Sauce, Wholemeal Pitta Bread, Low-Fat Fruity Yogurts, Chilli Crispy Coated Peanuts, Dried Cranberries, Mackerel Fillets in Tomato Sauce, Wholewheat Spaghetti, Mango, Strawberries, Dark Chocolate and Houmous. 

About half half the foods here were brought purely for snacking on. Some were attempts at healthy snack options. Strawberries and mango can't be argued to be anything other than healthy in my opinion. Houmous while being healthier than some other options is still reasonably high in fat. I'm not sure how healthy the dried cranberries are as after reading the ingredients on the packet it's only 60% cranberries, the rest is sugar and sunflower oil. Also I know nuts are supposed to be good for you (although I never usually eat nuts) but I'm sure this is the most unhealthy choice I could have made. Peanuts, being the nuts with the highest fat content and chilli coated...honestly that can't be good! And well, I wanted chocolate and dark chocolate's better than milk chocolate and I couldn't find the 70% cocoa version. Carmel cappuccinos taste so good, but I'm sure there's not any goodness in there!

One change I am trying to make is to buy wholemeal/wholewheat wherever possible. Wholewheat spaghetti is something I've not tried before, but wholemeal pitta bread I think tastes better than the plain version.

The next food haul should be my next online grocery delivery in a week or so. In between big food shops I do regularly buy milk, eggs and bread so these won't be included.

No comments:

Post a Comment